Where We've Come From
SigEp was originally founded in 1901 at Richmond College, now the University of Richmond, in Richmond, Virginia. In 1914, SigEp expanded and established it’s Missouri Alpha chapter, the first SigEp chapter in the state, at the University of Missouri. The chapter operated continuously for over 100 years providing a positive experience and environment for brothers to build lifelong relationships and set a foundation for success throughout their lives.
During that time, Missouri Alpha built it's chapter facility at 405 Kentucky Boulevard and participated actively as a valued group on Mizzou's campus. Some of the most significant accomplishments of the chapter include winning two Buchanan cups(1981 and 2001), and producing three grand chapter presidents: Denny Bond '65, John Hartman '61, and Paul Koontz '16.
Unfortunately, the chapter’s operations did not always uphold the high standards of the fraternity. In the fall of 2017, the chapter’s alumni and volunteer corporation and SigEp Headquarters mutually agreed to close the chapter due to hazing, risky behavior involving alcohol and other substances, lapses in judgment, and consistent failure to live out SigEp’s values. All of these factors contributed to a chapter culture where the value of SigEp could not exist.
Where We Are Now
SigEp returned to the University of Missouri in fall of 2019 and moved into our renovated house on 405 Kentucky Boulevard in the fall of 2021! In the fall of 2022, our chapter was officially chartered as the Missouri Alpha Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon. Since returning to campus, our chapter has been recognized with several awards and honors!
From the office of fraternity and sorority life, we have been recognized for:
- Overall Excellence(2023)
- Dedication to Continuous Member Development(2023)
- Dedication to Member Academic Excellence(2023)
- IFC GPA Excellence(2021, 2022, 2023)
- Excellence in Service and Philanthropy(2023)
- Chapter President of the Year – Andrew Hinkamp(2023)
Through other organizations on campus, our chapter was honored to receive:
- First Place in Rockin' Against Multiple Sclerosis(RAMS)(2023)
- Third Place in Greek Week(2023)
- First Place in MizzouThon Small Division(2022)
From SigEp headquarters, our chapter is proud to have earned:
- Excelsior Award for Excellence in Finances(2023)
- Excelsior Award for Excellence in Academics(2022)
- Excelsior Award for Excellence in Recruitment(2021)
- Frank J. Ruck Leadership Awards – Zach Lovelace(2023), Andrew Hinkamp(2022), Greg Pierson(2021)
- J. Edward Zollinger Outstanding Senior Award – Greg Pierson(2022)
- Tragos Quest to Greece Scholars – Andrew Hinkamp(2023), Lukas Parrish(2022)
- Ruck Leadership Institute Scholars – Cody Salka, Harrison Luechtefeld, and Wyatt Carlson(2023). Braden Bond, Zach Lovelace, and Andrew Hinkamp(2022)
- Ruck Leadership Institute Interns – Zach Lovelace(2023), Greg Pierson(2022)
SigEp was founded with the promise, “This fraternity will be different,” and SigEp at Mizzou has the unique opportunity to bring that promise to life and build a legacy. Our brothers have worked tirelessly to build a culture of excellence built on the values of virtue, diligence, and brotherly love. We are proud of the work we have done and eager to continue to build our chapter's history of success!
The opportunity to set the tone and foundation for the chapter’s legacy continues every day! To learn more about our chapter or express your interest in getting involved, please contact chapter president Cody Salka by email at email@example.com.